Depression Counseling in Parkland, FL
Providing Therapy for All Residents of Florida
Many people feel down sometimes. It is common and normal to feel this way. Especially in response to a misfortunate, disappointing, or devastating event. Intense sadness is often mistaken for depression. Depression is a lot more complex than feeling “sad” or “down.”
What is Depression?
A lot of individuals may experience “feeling depressed” but not meet the criteria for a clinical diagnosis. That is because Depression is a diagnosis for a mood disorder. Thus, one that is characterized by a persistently depressed (or lowered) mood, more often than not – which can cause a loss of interest in things and activities that one used to enjoy. This significantly impairs a person’s daily life in many different areas, which makes basic skills and functioning very difficult.
However, there doesn’t need to be a specific reason for a person to have depression. In fact, a lot of the time, there may not necessarily be anything “wrong” with someone’s situation or life; most people with depression cannot explain why they feel the way that they do. This can lead to problems with relationships, as there appears to be a lack of support and understanding from others.
Ready to Thrive Again With Depression Counseling?
Causes of Depression
Depression is caused by a number of sources: biological, psychological, or social factors. Research suggests that one or more of these factors can result in changes to the way the brain functions – the chemistry and activity of the brain is actually altered. Thus, explaining why one doesn’t need to have a “reason” for being depressed. Oftentimes, trauma or other issues can lead to depression.
However, to meet the criteria for clinical depression five or more symptoms are required; thus, each individuals presentation can be different.
Symptoms of Clinical Depression
- Constantly feeling depressed, sad, down, discouraged empty, and/or hopeless
- Diminished interest or pleasure in usual activities (i.e., people may report feeling less interested in hobbies, “not carrying anymore,” or not feeling enjoyment in activities that were previously considered pleasurable)
- Little to no appetite or increase in appetite.
- When appetite changes are severe in either direction there may be significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain
- Sleep disturbances- difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, insomnia, or over-sleeping (hypersomnia)
- Very low energy, fatigue, and/or tiredness.
- Even the smallest task seems to require so much “effort”
- Little to no motivation to perform daily tasks
- Low self-esteem/feelings of worthlessness
- Difficulty concentrating or indecisiveness
- Impairment in social, occupational, academic, and other important areas of functioning
Sometimes, but not always, depression can also lead to suicidal thoughts. More severe depression has an increased risk for this, which poses a safety concern.
If you are feeling this way, you do not need to suffer alone. I know that depression feels extremely heavy and impossible to recover from… but there is hope and depression can be treated. We can work together to help you with these incredibly difficult feelings. Contact me today to take back control over your mood and to see your days start to improve.
Ready to Begin Depression Counseling in Parkland, Coconut Creek, or Anywhere in Florida?
If you’re struggling to manage your depression symptoms, seek depression counseling at Invigorate Counseling where we can help provide you with a supportive space to work through your emotions and develop effective coping strategies. As a trained depression therapist, Lindsay Howard can help you identify negative thought patterns and behaviors, and guide you towards more positive and productive ways of managing your emotions. Don’t suffer in silence – follow these three steps to get started:
Other Services Offered at Invigorate Counseling
At Invigorate Counseling, I understand you may be struggling with more than one mental health need. So in addition to depression counseling at my Florida practice, I offer CBT Therapy, Anxiety Therapy, Grief Counseling, and Addiction Counseling. I also offer services for clients in the state of Florida located in Parkland, Coconut Creek, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, Orlando, Gainesville, Tallahassee, Miami, and Miami Beach. For more about my practice, check out my FAQs and Blog!